A Test Of Commitment
What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.
When we enter into marriage, we should do it with such total commitment that we do not consider bailing out. There should be no escape clauses in a marriage relationship. However, we do not realize how often we do and say things that undermine the marriage commitment. Consider the following a test of your marriage commitment:
- Do you ever threaten to leave your mate?
- Is your mate secure in your commitment to your marriage?
- Are you more committed to your mate than to your career?
- Are you more committed to your mate than to your children?
- Are you more committed to your mate than to your hobbies and favorite activities?
- Do you emotionally leave your mate by withdrawing for an extended period of time because of conflict?
- Are you interested in meeting your mate’s needs and actively doing what you can to meet them?
- How do you think your mate would answer each of these questions?
Questions like these can surface some important marital issues such as resolving conflict, making your spouse a priority over children or hobbies, or meeting your mate’s needs. Why not take a quick commitment inventory by really answering these questions!